Monday, September 11, 2023

Starting Fresh

 


This is the first of six 12" square paintings
done with oil and cold wax medium.
When I painted this I was just exploring
black and white, then adding gray, a little blue, 
and finally a pop of bright orange to liven it up.
I didn't know I was embarking on a series.

Some of the marks that keep coming up in my
nonobjective work are 
loop-de-loops, arches, stripes, and rose shapes.
I've come to realize that these colors are
those of my new geography: Coastal South Carolina.
The waves, the mussel shells, nautilis shells, 
sudden dark clouds, fresh blue skies,
and ever-present shrimp boats.
I love this place.

I hope the feel of sea spray and ocean breeze -
as well as my joy of "finding" this place -
reaches you as you view this series.
Five more to come.

amy.whitehouse@me.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rock Wall

Acrylic on Heavy Watercolor Paper, 6" x 6" $75 Lately I've been exploring the palette of light ultramarine blue, yellow oxide,...